Properties of diamagnetic materials
Diamagnetic materials have following properties:
- In a diamagnetic material, the magnetic lines of forces due to an applied field are repelled.
- when suspended in a uniform magnetic field, diamagnetic materials set their longest axis at right angles to the direction of the field and the shortest axis is along the direction of the field.
- when placed in a non-uniform magnetic field, the diamagnetic materials move from stronger parts of the field to the weaker parts.
- relative magnetic permeability of diamagnetic materials is always less than unity that is
μr < 1
- Magnetic susceptibility if diamagnetic materials is always negative.
- Magnetic susceptibility of diamagnetic materials does not change with temperature, that is they do not obey Curie law
Reference: This article is referred from my book “electrical engineering materials” having ISBN 978-81-272-5069-0. In case of any doubt, you can put your question in the comment section.