Let us today discuss the 10 properties or characteristics of gamma rays.
1. Gamma, γ-rays are not deflected by electric and magnetic fields. It shows that they do not have any charge.
2. Gamma, γ-rays are electromagnetic waves like X-rays. The wavelength of γ-ray photon is smaller than that of X-rays.
3. The rest mass of a Gamma, γ-ray photon is zero. (Photon has mass zero but it has momentum, why?)
4. Gamma, γ-rays travel with the speed of light.
5. Gamma, γ-rays have very large penetrating power. They can pass through several centimeter of iron and lead.
6. Gamma, γ-rays can produce fluorescene in a substance like willimite.
7. Gamma, γ-rays affect a photographic plate more than β-particles.
8. Gamma, γ-rays can knock out electrons from the surface of a metal, on which they may fall.
9. Gamma, γ-rays can produce nuclear reactions.
10. Gamma, γ-rays have got small ionizing power.
These are the 10 main properties of gamma rays, if you know more please share with us.
Also Read: 1. Properties of alpha particles